Recipe by Converting to vegan
I went to a wedding this past summer and had a delicious spinach salad. I was able to reproduce it quite well and am sharing it here. It's absolutely delicious on a hot summer day and the sugar encrusted walnuts make it extra tasty.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
This was a really nice salad, fabulous dressing, really nice mix of sweet and a little citrus tang. Very visually pleasing, I made this for a family dinner and even the youngsters, normally not fond of salad or spinach, were happy to eat it. lovely, thank you, Converting to Vegan! Made for PAC Fall 2011
- 1 (12 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 6 strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, halves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and heat up until all the sugar is dissolved.
- In a bowl toss the walnuts in the sugary water.
- Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the nuts are "dry" to the touch.
- Remove nuts and set aside to cool.
- To make the salad dressing mix the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and basil in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork until the salt and sugar has dissolved.
- In a large salad bowl add the spinach, strawberries and green onions.
- Add the salad dressing and toss the all the ingredients.
- Finally add the walnuts and toss lightly.
- Serve the salad with bread or as a side dish.