Recipe by MarieRynr
This delightful spring salad combines spinach leaves with strawberries, the delicious tang of gorgonzola cheese, a lovely vinaigrette and finished off topped with the crunch of candied walnuts. Makes a great luncheon dish or for an elegant entree salad add grilled chicken cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 24 walnuts or 24 pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 small shallots or 2 small chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons raspberry red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- fresh ground white pepper
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion in a small glass or stainless steel bowl. Add enough water to cover. Chill, covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes or longer.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Plunge the walnuts into the boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Add the icing sugar and toss until the walnuts are well glazed.
- heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Drop the walnuts carefully into the hot vegetable oil, keeping the walnuts seperated. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until dark golden brown. Remove to a wire rack lined with parchment paper to cool.
- Heat the walnut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots. Saute for 2 minutes or until translucent. Remove from heat. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper. Do not overseason with salt as the cheese is quite salty also. Whisk until lightly emulsified.
- Tear the spinach into bite size pieces into a large bowl. Drain the onion. Add the onion, strawberries and cheese, tossing to mix well. Drizzle the dressing over the top and toss until lightly coated. Divide among salad plates and top with the candied walnuts.