Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Single serving. All measurements are approximations, adjust to your own taste.
- 1 -2 cup Baby Spinach, loosely packed
- 4 strawberries
- 1 -2 tablespoon feta
- 1 teaspoon red onion
- 1 tablespoon raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- white pepper
- basil, blossoms
- Remove stems from Baby Spinach.
- Wash, hull, halve and slice Strawberries.
- Thinly slice Red Onion.
- Crumble Feta.
- Combine in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender, or small bowl, combine Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar. I use a 2 to 1 ratio, most recipes I have read call for more olive oil and less vinegar than what I use. Mix according to your own taste. Blend for 15 seconds or whisk together.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss. You only need enough dressing to thinly coat everything. If you have extra in the bottom of the bowl leave it there lifting salad out with tongs. Drizzle any extra on a slice of crusty bread to eat with your salad.
- Plate and top with fresh ground white pepper and basil blossoms.
I wasn't sure how I would feel about this, because I usually shy away from fruit mixed with stuff I consider savory, but I was pleasantly surprised. I used flower7's suggestion of mixing raspberry preserves into the dressing in place of the raspberry balsamic vinegar that I didn't have, and I added a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness just a touch. I made extra dressing, too, because I needed raspberry vinaigrette for a different salad recipe I had to make. DH doesn't care for green salads too much, so I kept the dressing separate and drizzled it on so the leftovers didn't get too soggy the next day. Even the day-old salad was good, but the onion did get a bit strong on the second day (even though it was such a small amount). Very enjoyable salad, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring '10 :)
A great combination of healthy goodness and a fun mix of flavors that make your mouth water for the next bite before you finish the last. I have tried other versions of this salad and loved them, so it was neat to try a new spin. We'll definitely make it again. We just happened to have fresh strawberries that my daughter and her friend picked at a patch north of town. Made for Spring PAC 2010. And served with an incredible shrimp and mango dish, recipe #319414 #319414
Wow wow wow wow! This was excellent! I didn't have any raspberry balsamic so mixed about 1/2 tsp seedless raspberry preserves with regular balsamic. I have some purple basil growing in my windowsill so used blossoms from that. Thanks for the fab recipe!