Recipe by Engineer in the Kitchen
A favorite of mine. I grew up eating this and thinking that I should be as strong as Popeye :). If the allspice is too much for you, use half the quantity.
Top Review by Houmous Monster
This isn't a review, just a warning to others who might try to modify this recipe. I attempted to replace the ground beef with Quorn Mince (a meat substitute). I think the Quorn didn't absorb the lemon juice as meat might have, meaning the whole dish was just like eating lemons. If you're going to try modifying it I advise you just add lemon juice to taste.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil enough water in a pot to cover the spinach. Add chopped spinach, bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove and drain. Put aside.
- Sauté onion with olive oil over moderate heat until transparent. Stir in meat and allspice until tender.
- Stir in garlic and spinach. Mix well. Add 1 cup of water. Cook over moderate heat for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Garnish with pine nuts. Serve accompanied with cooked rice.