Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lighter version of a steak dinner. I made this with sirloin marinated in the Barefoot Contessa's barbeque sauce but salt and pepper is fine if you like your flavours simple. Please note the standing time is included in the cooking time.
- 1 lb grilling strips beef loin steak, 1-inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, halved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (6 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To make the dressing: In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
- To make the salad: Season the steak with half each of the salt and pepper.
- Place on a greased grill over medium-high heat.
- Close the lid and grill, turning once, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice across the grain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the mushrooms, garlic, thyme and remaining salt and pepper until no liquid remains and the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the spinach between four plates.
- Divide the mushrooms, steak and onion over the top.
- Drizzle with the dressing.