Recipe by Patty Mae
This recipe was given to me by a friend from Church while I was living in Hollywood, Florida. I tweaked it a little by adding the onion, garlic, and nutmeg. It's a great potluck dish - it's delicious, easy to make, and travels well. It also works well as an appetizer. To make appetizer-size portions, bake in a 10x15x1-inch jelly roll pan and cut into 1-inch squares.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put 1 tablespoon butter, the onion, and the garlic in a microwave-safe covered dish.
- Microwave on high for a minute or two, stirring as needed, until the onions are translucent. Set aside.
- Put the remaining butter in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Put baking pan in oven until butter melts; remove.
- Beat eggs; add flour, milk, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg; mix until smooth.
- Stir in the spinach, cheese, and reserved onion mixture; mix until ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Spread mixture evenly in the baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool 45 minutes and cut into squares.
- This dish freezes well--defrost and reheat at 325°F for 12 minutes.