Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sunday Brunch...also good for supper. Prep night before, bake next morning. I don't usually time myself while cooking just do it so "prep" times are approx.
- 6 slices bread, crust removed
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb fresh, sliced mushroom
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced (, tops too)
- 1 jar chopped pimiento, , drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Cut or tear bread into 1" pieces place half into 9" baking dish coated with nonstick coating spray.
- Cut cream cheese into small pieces, put over bread.
- In heated nonstick skillet add crumbled ground beef and sliced mushrooms,cook til beef is done and mushrooms browned, drain off fat.
- Add spinach, onions, pimento, garlic salt, and pepper cook 1 minute stirring.
- in bowl combine eggs and milk, mix well.
- Layer meat spinach mixture over bread and cheese.
- Top with remaining bread pieces.
- Pour milk/egg mixture over all.
- cover, chill over night.
- Remove from freg 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake covered at 350F degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover bake another 30 minutes til center is set.
- Prepare sauce-------------------.
- In saucepan combine butter and flour over med heat, add hot milk stirring constantly, cook until begins to bubble cook for 1 minute stirring.
- Add seasonings remove for heat.
- Cut into serving portions serve with sauce.
This was very good, delicate flavor didn't over power the spinach and mushrooms. I'd make it again but would leave out the ground beef.
My family felt the Strata was very bland. I'm not sure what would have helped it, maybe hotter onions or more spices.