24 hrs 25 mins
Once I found out how easy it is to use phyllo dough, this recipe became a regular. Fresh basil enhances the flavor. I add a few secret seasonings, but you can experiment for yourself. Serve with Bechamel Sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups fresh spinach, cooked, drained, and chopped
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 20 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cups feta cheese
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (17 ounce) package frozen phyllo dough
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- butter, melted
- 1Refrigerate the frozen phyllo dough 24 hours before you begin your preparations.
- 2Saute onions and garlic in the olive oil until tender.
- 3Add mushrooms and stir until reduced and browned.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except the phyllo dough and butter.
- 5Lay the phyllo sheets on a towel in the work counter.
- 6Cut in half lengthwise and cover with another towel to keep from drying out.
- 7Melt the butter.
- 8Working quickly and using 1 half-sheet at a time, brush the phyllo lightly with melted butter.
- 9Place 1/4 cup of the spinach mixture in 1 corner of the shorter side and fold the other corner over the mixture, forming an angular fold.
- 10Continue to fold over until you have a triangle.
- 11Place on a cookie sheet and brush with melted butter.
- 12Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- 13When firm, package the frozen spanakopitas and store in the freezer.
- 14Remove the frozen spanakopitas 1 hour before serving.
- 15Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown.
- 16Serve hot with Bechamel Sauce poured over the top.
- 17Bechamel Sauce: Saute the onions in butter.
- 18Stir in flour and seasonings, add milk and cook until it is thick.
- 19Overcooking will thin the sauce.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Spanakopita
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.1
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 617.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 11.5 g