Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Scandinavians sometimes top this velvety soup with sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb spinach
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add spinach; stir until heated through.
- Stir in flour until moistened. Increase heat to high and slowly stir in chicken broth; cook and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and puree in a blender or food processor; pour puree into saucepan.
- Add salt, white pepper, allspice, milk and cream. Stir over medium heat just until soup comes to a boil.
- Serve immediately.
This is the fastest dish I've ever made. Done in 15 minutes tops. It's depressing how a full pound of spinach wilts down to nearly nothing. DH was eh about the texture but liked the flavor a lot & nobody else mentioned anything about texture. Everybody thought it was yummy! Made for Aussie Swap 6/13.