Recipe by Sharon the Rocket
Great recipe for dinner parties. Recipe was in 9/22/04 Post-Dispatch - adapted from "A Taste of the Hill Cookbook" 1977.
Top Review by savvybranding
Great recipe. I especially loved that I cooked sneak in Spinach and my kids didn't think twice about eating it. I did add some additional seasoning (garlic salt & italian seasoning). I also subsitutoed a mix of Itailian cheeses for the cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ground black pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 lb jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package directions
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pint heavy cream (40 percent)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage in large skillet. Stir in onion, garlic, mushrooms and basil and cook until onion is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain excess fat.
- Add spinach and soup to the meat mixture. Stir in sour cream.
- Arrange cooked pasta shells in single layer in 9-by-13-by2 inch baking pan.
- Stuff the meat mixture into shells. Sprinkle with cheeses. Pour cream over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- NOTE: The cream in this recipe creates a small amount of sauce as the shells bake. For more sauce, remove the cooked shells to a serving dish; transfer the sauce to a saucepan. Add more cream; thicken with flour or cornstarch. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. If necessary, season salt and pepper.