Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Perfect for when it's cold out! I just made this with ingredients I had on hand, and it turned out delicious. It was so easy! I don't usually measure herbs and spices, but I am pretty heavy handed with them. Do it to your tastes, but generally with peppers I add about a half a teaspoon to start.
- cooking spray
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (12 ounce) bag lentils
- 10 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tarragon (more to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Spray a dutch oven or large stock pot with cooking spray. Add onions, garlic and sausage. Break up sausage with wooden spoon while sausage browns. Drain off fat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. You don't even need to defrost the spinach. Bring to a simmer, cook till lentils are soft, about 1 hour.
This is a very nice soup. I used a whole pound of lentils (rather than 12 ounces), and fresh spinach. I will make it again, and play around with some of the vegetables and spices. But a really great place to start. Thanks!