Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This simple, healthy, and flavorful soup is from Light and Tasty’s June/July 2005 issue.
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and torn
- In large saucepan, saute carrots and onion in olive oil until tender.
- Stir in water, salsa, lentils, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach and simmer for 5-10 minutes longer, until spinach is wilted.
This is a great, easy recipe on those nights you want warm soup but don't have time to simmer for hours. I didn't have to simmer mine for the whole hour; 45 minutes did the trick. I also didn't bother adding the salt because my salsa had quite a bit to begin with.
Great, thick soup - the salsa really gives a lot of flavour, I think I'll even reduce the amount of salt next time! Very easy to make. Thanks for a tasty lunch soup recipe!