Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very light, tasty salad. Simple but different
- 2 -3 cups young spinach, washed,trimmed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into long thin ribbons
- 4 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons oil (use canola, or a mixture or a flavorful nut oil and canola)
- 1 teaspoon softened cream cheese (light is ok)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Wash, trim and dry the spinach.
- Cut the red pepper in to decorative strips.
- Make the dressing: In a small pan, combine the juices and the oil over medium heat.
- Heat, stirring briskly until bubbling and the oil begins to emulsify with the juices.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until it is entirely melted and incorporated.
- Add the chili flakes and take off the heat.
- Arrange the spinach and the red pepper on 2 plates.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top of the salads and around the edge of the plate.
- (Can be made ahead of time up to this point).
- Strain the dressing through a fine seive.
- Return to the pan and reheat if it is not still warm.
- Pour hot over the salads and enjoy immediately.