Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Use real maple syrup for a salad that you will love! Adapted from The Essential Eating Well Cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, torn or 12 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded smoked cheese (such as Gouda) or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
- Toast pecans in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Toss spinach and cucumber in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Immediately pour dressing over the spinach and cucumber. Toss well and sprinkle with cheese and toasted pecans.
Nice and delicious. We used the hot dressing recipe. We omitted the nuts and cheese due to allergies. Added sliced mushrooms. So good. Will be making this again. Thank you.
Only rating it 4 stars because I used parmesan cheese instead of cheddar and added apple slices and did not add pepper. Dave and I each had a big helping of this along with macaroni and cheese with a hot roll. We both liked it. Thought the maple syrup would be too strong, but mixed with the vinegar it was very good. Thanks for the recipe.
I love the simplicity - yet presents elegantly! I added fresh mandarin orange pieces and used smoked applewood cheese. I will definitely make this again. Thank You!