Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a fantastic spinach salad recipe, and one I have made many times for dinner parties. This salad is so good that it can really be served as a main meal, and also compares to the spinach salads that are served at the fancy restaurants, if not BETTER! You can use Roquefort in place of the gorgonzola...once you have tryed this salad you'll be hooked! This is a salad you make often!
- 2 (10 ounce) bags Baby Spinach (purchase the washed and ready to use bags)
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (use only red onion for this)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced black olives (can use more or less olives)
- 12 slices bacon, cut into about 1-inch pieces (can use more or less bacon)
- 2 cups gorgonzola
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- salt and black pepper
- In a small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Place the baby spinach in a large glass bowl, and toss with black pepper and a small amount of salt (or omit the salt).
- Arrange the sliced mushrooms, sliced onions and olives on top (you can cover and chill while making the bacon and warmed cheese mixture).
- In a frypan cook the bacon pieces until crisp; remove to a paper towel and pour off all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the cheese, whipping cream and the wine vinegar/Dijon mixture; stir until cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth (DO NOT BOIL!).
- Pour the warm dressing over the salad, or serve on the side.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon.
If you make according to the directions it will turn out fabulous. I love gorgonzola cheese and this was perfect. Thank you!!
The six serving estimate is for six generous dinner servings. As a side it would easily serve 12. Even my husband, who is not a fan of blu cheese, liked the dressing.
This was a delicious salad, with peppery spinach, salty tangy cheese, and sweetness from the honey. MMMMMM