1/1 Photo of Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
Mom loved this salad, and it was always a treat when she would prepare it. Not having her recipe, I used Alton Brown's as the basis and improvised slightly. This was a hit with everyone. The secret is to add enough sugar to reach the desired sweetness level. Just keep tasting and stirring the dressing -- just don't eat all of it or you won't have anything to put on the salad! From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Moberly MO.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces Baby Spinach
- 6 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 16 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 9 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 medium white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces red onions, very thinly sliced (1 small)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- garlic cheese crouton
- 1Remove the stems from the spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- 2While the eggs are hard boiling, fry the bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 9 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside. I like to fry bacon in the oven. Just spread out the slices on a cookie sheet and pop into a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. You can turn the bacon during the last 5 minutes to get it crispier.
- 3Transfer the bacon grease to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a few small pinches each of kosher salt and black pepper.
- 4Add the mushrooms, cranberries and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss. Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine. Divide the spinach between 8 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.9
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 157.1 mg
- Sodium 485.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 13.4 g