Recipe by Tona C.
Mom loved this salad, and it was always a treat when she would prepare it. Not having her recipe, I used Alton Brown's as the basis and improvised slightly. This was a hit with everyone. The secret is to add enough sugar to reach the desired sweetness level. Just keep tasting and stirring the dressing -- just don't eat all of it or you won't have anything to put on the salad! From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Moberly MO.
Top Review by MeliHW
I absolutely loved the flavor of this salad. I LOVE a great spinach salad with warm bacon dressing, but I have never tried to make it on my own. Not only was the dressing sweet and tangy, but it had a pefect smokey flaor from the bacon. The addition of the crasins was gave the salad a nice hint of tart. I say this is a winner and a must make!
- 16 ounces Baby Spinach
- 6 eggs, hard boiled and sliced
- 16 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 9 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 12 medium white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces red onions, very thinly sliced (1 small)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- garlic cheese crouton
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the stems from the spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- While the eggs are hard boiling, fry the bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 9 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside. I like to fry bacon in the oven. Just spread out the slices on a cookie sheet and pop into a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. You can turn the bacon during the last 5 minutes to get it crispier.
- Transfer the bacon grease to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a few small pinches each of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, cranberries and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss. Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine. Divide the spinach between 8 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.