Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This salad is so good and so easy! The creamy, warm bacon dressing wilts the spinach and gives this salad a wonderful flavor. I like to use Splenda when I can, even when we are not watching our other carbs, because my DH's blood sugar tends to be on the high side. BUT, you can use sugar if you prefer!
- 10 -12 ounces fresh spinach, washed and torn into bit-size pieces (I use the pre-packaged baby spinach)
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (or sugar if desired)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- Place prepared spinach in a large bowl. Add onion. Refrigerate, tightly covered.
- Fry chopped bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel and set aside.
- Allow bacon drippings to cool for 5 minutes or so (until it is no longer sizzling). In the frying pan, combine the drippings with vinegar, Splenda (or sugar), mayonnaise, salt and pepper and blend well.
- You can now refrigerate all ingredients until just before serving, storing the dressing in a covered microwaveable container. OR you can use the dressing right out of the pan and proceed to tossing the salad.
- When ready to serve, microwave the dressing on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds, or until mixture boils.
- Toss the chopped egg with the spinach salad then pour the hot dressing over greens mixture; toss again lightly.
- Top with sliced egg and crumbled bacon.
This recipe was exactly what I was looking for. It was delicious and I loved that it can be prepared ahead of time and then just microwave the dressing before serving.
Loved this salad. I made all the components early in the morning and warmed and tossed it together when my guests arrived. It was a huge hit.
Excellent salad! The dressing is warm and tangy; perfect for the spinach, eggs and onions. I only used 4 slices of bacon, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Thanx for a lovely salad!