Recipe by Vina
This was my mom's favorite thing to make and eat for herself. I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but have to admit that I've learned to love it, too. Perfect with fresh from the garden baby spinach.
Top Review by Bill From New Mexico
My Grandmother used to make this dressing for wilted lettuce salad. There used to be a Restaurant in Memphis, the 91st Bomber Group, if I remember correctly, that served this salad. I have not been able to find the recipe in a cookbook, thanks for publishing it.
- 6 slices diced raw bacon (1/2 cup Tightly packed, more is better!)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 10 -12 cups baby spinach leaves, washed well and drained
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted or 1⁄4 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium to high heat until almost crisp.
- Add onions and fry, stirring, for one minute.
- Add sugar, stirring over medium heat until sugar starts to develop a golden color.
- Add the vinegar and stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring back to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately pour over spinach leaves in a large bowl.
- Toss to coat spinach evenly and serve.
- Sprinkle nuts or seeds over each serving, to taste.