This was my mom's favorite thing to make and eat for herself. I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but have to admit that I've learned to love it, too. Perfect with fresh from the garden baby spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices diced raw bacon (1/2 cup Tightly packed, more is better!)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 10 -12 cups baby spinach leaves, washed well and drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted or 1/4 cup salted roasted sunflower seeds
- 1Cook bacon over medium to high heat until almost crisp.
- 2Add onions and fry, stirring, for one minute.
- 3Add sugar, stirring over medium heat until sugar starts to develop a golden color.
- 4Add the vinegar and stock, season with salt and pepper, and bring back to a boil for 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Immediately pour over spinach leaves in a large bowl.
- 7Toss to coat spinach evenly and serve.
- 8Sprinkle nuts or seeds over each serving, to taste.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Salad With Sweet-Sour Bacon Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.4
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g