Recipe by Imagenie
One of my favorite salads. Creamy sweet-tart dressing clings easily to spinach, oranges, and red onions. I use baby spinach. You can use canned mandarin oranges, but I like the fresh oranges. Very colorful, great for a special occasion or everyday healthy treat. Everyone loves it. From Sunset Recipe Annual 1988 Edition.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love dressings with cider vinegar and this was an especially good one! I loved the celery seed, dry mustard, and the sugar amount was just right. I also liked that it wasn't a thin dressing and emulsified nicely. I was in a hurry so I added jarred mandarin oranges but will add some fresh tomorrow! I will make this dressing often. Thanks Imagenie, for posting. Roxygirl
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, washed
- 2 large oranges
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap spinach leaves in paper towels and chill to crisp, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Peel oranges and remove the white membrane, then cut fruit segments from inner membranes. Separate onion slices into individual rings.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, and paprika until sugar dissolves. Add salad oil, whisking until dressing is the consistency of honey.
- Combine spinach, oranges, and onion in a serving bowl. Pour dressing over salad, then mix lightly to coat, add salt to taste. Serve at once.