Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe that I did one day with ingredients I had in the house, and everyone liked it so much, I make it all the time. It uses sun dried tomato oil, which is drained from a jar of oil packed sun dried tomatoes. Being brought up a good frugal Dutch girl, I wanted to use that oil for something, besides stir frying. The dressing keeps for a while in the fridge, the salad ingredients are simple, so you can have this anytime.
- 1⁄3 cup oil, sun dried tomato oil drained from a jar of oil packed sundried tomatoes (or 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 cups Baby Spinach, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, julienned (optional)
- Whisk together the sun dried tomato oil, red wine vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard.
- For a thicker dressing, you can add an oil packed or reconstituted sun dried tomato, and process in a blender or food processor.
- Put the baby spinach in a salad bowl, and toss with just enough of the dressing to lightly coat the spinach.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds, dried cranberries, and sun dried tomatoes, if using, over the top, and serve.
- Alternatively, you can arrange the spinach on serving plates, drizzle with the dressing, then add the toppings to each plate. That way the cranberries and sun dried tomatoes won't sink to the bottom of the bowl, and makes a prettier presentation for a dinner party.