Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great Fall main dish salad. Use thick-sliced smoked chicken from the meat dept. or you can substitute smoked turkey from the deli. For more sweet/sour, add another tsp. vinegar. From Food and Wine.
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 2⁄3 lb smoked chicken breast, sliced
- 1 lb spinach, washed, stems removed (9 cups)
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 apple, tart, peeled, cored, 1/2 inch cubes
- Heat oven to 350. Toast walnuts about 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble.
- Whisk vinegar with mustard, salt and pepper in a small glass or stainless bowl. Whisk in oil.
- In large bowl, combine 2 Tbsp of the dressing with chicken. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add walnuts, bacon, spinach, onion, apple and remaining dressing. Toss.
This was really good. I used two grilled chicken breasts and a "power greens" mixture. I also added feta. I will also add another apple next time.
One of our new fave meal salads! I agree with Mouskawitz about using pecans in place of walnuts. I tried it both ways and prefer the taste of the pecans. Best to use REAL bacon if you have the time, definetely gives a better smokey taste. I also used only half the spinach called for. I can't imagine using all 9 cups. I barbequed the chicken breast, then chopped them up and tossed them in. Very yummy!
I just made this for Sunday lunch with my parents-in-law & everyone loved it (except my 4 year old who decided to be picky today :)) I didn't make it exactly as written though... I made a full dressing recipe & onion & apple, but not quite 1/2 the spinach. Plus I used pre-cooked (Hormel) bacon bits (maybe 1/3 cup) & 3 chicken breast halves chopped & cooked. It was a good amount for the 4 adults (+1 child). I also substituted pecans for the walnuts & skipped toasting them for time sake. Yummy!