Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 2⁄3 lb smoked chicken breast, sliced
- 1 lb fresh spinach, stems removed, leaves washed (about 9 cups)
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Toast the walnuts until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large frying pan, cook the bacon until it is crisp. Drain the bacon on paper towels and then crumble it.
- In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the oil.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the dressing with the chicken. Let sit for about 5 minutes so that the chicken absorbs the dressing. Add the walnuts, bacon, spinach, onion, apple, and the remaining dressing and toss.