Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Chef John Folse.
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 bosc pears
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup white wine vinegar or 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Wash spinach and remove/discard stems; set spinach aside.
- Combine the water and lemon juice in a bowl; peel, core, and chop pears.
- Place in lemon-water mixture; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon in olive oil over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Add in onion and pepper slices; cook 3 minutes or until tender.
- Drain pears and add to skillet; cook just until tender.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and orange rind; bring to a boil.
- Remove mixture from heat; stir in thyme and next 4 ingredients.
- Put spinach in a large serving bowl, add hot mixture and toss gently.
- Serve immediately with a slotted spoon.