Recipe by lazyme
This recipe comes from Chef John Currence of the City Grocery Restaurant in Oxford, MS. The dressing for this salad has a wonderful flavor, but I found it too oily as written. I've left the recipe as he wrote it, but I now skip the 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and only add about 1/2 of the oil from the roasted garlic. The flavor is great.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh tarragon or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby spinach leaves, 6 ounces
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine 1/4 cup oil and garlic in small baking dish.
- Cover with foil; bake until garlic is very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to work surface and finely chop.
- Transfer garlic to medium bowl. Reserve roasted garlic oil.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels.
- Pour drippings into medium bowl.
- Add vinegar, shallot, mustard, honey, molasses and tarragon and whisk to blend.
- Add roasted garlic, garlic oil, bacon and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and whisk to blend well.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach, sliced onion and blue cheese in large bowl.
- Toss with enough dressing to coat.