Recipe by Oolala
I can't wait to try this from the Sun-Sentinel, Feb. 28, 2008. The note above the recipe says that "This is a play on the original spinach salad; it can be served as a starter or offered alongside roasted chicken, pork or duck. The addition of pineapple adds sweetness and body. Baby arugula leaves would work well instead of spinach."
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped, about 3 medium shallots
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- 5 -6 ounces Baby Spinach, 4-5 cups
- 1 cup pineapple, diced, 1/2 inch
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into strips 1/2 - 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a nonreactive small saute pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add salt and cook 4-5 minutes, until the shallots soften.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the vinegar, then return to the heat and add the sugar and then the pepper.
- Whisk in the rest of the oil; taste and adjust seasoning as needed; remove the pan from the heat and keep warm; set aside.
- Divide the spinach among the plates.
- Divide the pineapple and prosciutto strips evenly among the plates, placing them on top of the spinach.
- Spoon the warm dressing over each salad and serve immediately.