Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
This Modern Mexican salad has a great holiday look as it makes use of pomegranate seeds which are in season this time of year. It can be made into a main dish vegetarian salad with the addition of white beans; or for meat eaters, some grilled chicken would be good. Recipe adapted from one served at the Border Grill Restaurant in Pasadena,
- 1 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large jicama, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Baby Spinach, washed
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a small, ungreased, frying pan over medium heat, toast the pepitas until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat, add lime juice mixed with 1 teaspoon salt and shake vigorously. Cook shaking often, until the pan is dry. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the jicama into 1/8-inch slices, then julienne as thinly as possible. Transfer to a very large salad bowl, along with the spinach.
- Whisk 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste), pepper, vinegar and olive oil together in a small bowl and drizzle it over the salad.
- add the pepitas, feta and pomegranate seeds and toss well.
- Serve immediately.