Recipe by bikerchick
We have potlucks at work every couple of months or so, and to encourage more people to bring things we have contests for homemade food. Our co-workers try everything and vote blindly, prizes are given to a winner in each category. If you've won for a dish once, you can't bring it to be voted on again, plus I'm usually trying to come up with something new each time I bring a dish. I was in the mood for a salad last summer and hadn't brought one before so I threw this together. Since this was for a potluck, I tried to do as much as possible in advance, making the dressing the morning of and because I didn't want to deal with the nectarines later, I diced them and threw them in the dressing as the lemon juice would keep them from getting brown, then I assembled the rest of the salad just prior to serving. I did win first place and even our vice president was asking for the recipe. You could garnish with edible flowers for a special touch. Have fun with it!
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons' worth)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup sugar, depending on your preferences
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 bunches fresh spinach, stems removed,leaves washed,and patted dry
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 2 ripe nectarines, peeled,pit removed and diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, throw all ingredients except mint and seeds.
- After blending until smooth, add a few leaves from the mint and blend.
- Taste and continue until to your satisfaction/taste.
- After mint has been added and blended, add poppy seeds.
- Combine all ingredients except walnuts in a bowl, being careful not to crush the blackberries.
- Shake dressing to blend, pour over salad, mixing with your hands to lightly coat vegetables and fruit.
- You may not need all of the dressing, so pour some and mix before pouring more.
- Top with walnuts.