Recipe by M&Mers
If you've never tasted toasted pine nuts before, then this recipe will make you a fan! (They can easily be found in any bulk food store). This is the recipe that also started my love affair with balsamic vinegar, all the different flavors blend marvelously well in this awesome salad!
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefresh spinach, trimmed washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pine nuts in a small frying pan and toast on medium heat until golden, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Cool and set aside.
- Core apple and cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Coat in lemon juice as you cut it up to prevent browning.
- Set aside.
- To prepare dressing: In large bowl, whisk together orange juice, balsamic vinegar, oil, honey, poppy seeds, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add spinach and toss to coat well.
- Arrange spinach in individual salad bowls and top with apple chunks, drained mandarin orange segments, and toasted pine nuts.