Prep 6 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a make ahead dish. Note the prep time is for the marinating lamb then cooling. Sometimes I will buy the red peppers in a jar and also use grape tomatoes. I got this recipe from Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless lamb loin
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 10 ounces soft mild goat cheese
- 1 bunch spinach, 6 cups
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over lamb in a sealable plastic bag combine lamb, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1 tablespoon basil, turning lamb to coat evenly. Marinate lamb, covered and chilled, 4 hours.
- Cut roasted peppers into thin 2-inch long strips and in a bowl combine with vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil. Chill peppers, covered, until assembling salad.
- In the food processor coarsely crumble goat cheese and mix with with 2 tablespoons oil (or less I eyeball it) and 1 tablespoon basil. Chill goat cheese, covered, until assembling salad.
- In a blender blend remaining 1/4 cup oil, remaining tablespoon basil, and salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Transfer basil oil to a small bowl. Chill basil oil, covered, while preparing lamb. Bring basil oil to room temperature before assembling salad.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In an ovenproof skillet over moderately high heat until hot and brown lamb on all sides. Put skillet in middle of oven and roast lamb about 10 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 140°F for medium-rare. Cool lamb. Chill lamb, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Cut lamb into thin slices.
- Discard coarse stems from spinach and arrange leaves around edges of 4 large plates. Scatter come peppers evenly over spinach and mound some goat cheese in center of each plate. Arrange lamb slices around goat cheese and drizzle salads with basil oil.