Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious, attractive and versatile salad. Use the croutons and twists to garnish other dishes and the dressing can be used in other ways as well. The simple to make garnishes look more complicated than they are. Makes 2 generous servings. I've not listed cook time because other steps can be accomplished while the oven is being used.
- 2 tablespoons gorgonzola, crumbled (about 1 ounce)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 slices sourdough bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 4 -6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces spinach, coarse stems removed
- 1⁄3 red onion, sliced very thin into rings
- 1 hard-boiled egg, quartered
- Gorgonzola Croutons: Preheat oven to 375°; mash cheese and butter together with a fork and spread half on one side of each of the slices of bread; cut into 1" pieces and place on a baking sheet, cheese side up.
- If not making bacon twists go ahead and bake croutons until golden, about 15 minutes; if making bacon twists, the croutons and bacon can be baked together, so prepare the bacon twists.
- Bacon Twists: Twist each slice of bacon tightly into a spiral and place on the rack of a broiler pan; press ends of bacon onto the pan, the twists will unravel a bit as they cook.
- If baking both the croutons and bacon, put the croutons in the upper third of the oven and the bacon in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, or until croutons are golden and bacon is crisp; drain the bacon on paper toweling.
- Dressing: Combine all the ingredients and whisk until emulsified.
- Salad: In large bowl toss together the spinach, croutons and onion; plate and add the bacon twists and egg;drizzle the dressing over the salad.
I was looking for a quick salad dressing and made just the dressing. I was so impressed with the taste that I plan to go back and make the entire recipe. Very good, very very easy.
Delicious salad! I can't believe no one has reviewed it until now. The croutons were wonderful (I used blue cheese) and I really liked the texture of the bacon twists--lovely presentation. The dressing goes great with the spinach. The only ingredient I left out was the egg. I will definitely make this again, but I also intend to make the croutons and bacon twists on their own for other dishes.