Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from the 2004 edition of The Gourmet Cookbook, edited by Ruth Reichl. I microwaved the bacon twists, but I'll provide the recipe as written in the book. The dressing for this was so good my daughter wanted to scrape the blender pitcher. As I typed this in I realized I misread it when I made it and used 2 tablespoons of honey rather than teaspoons. The additional honey certainly did no harm! Preparation time does not include hard-boiling the eggs.
- 8 slices bacon (1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices country bread, half-inch thick, preferably sourdough
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 lb spinach, coarse stems discarded
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- Put racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Twist each bacon slice into a tight spiral and arrange twists on rack of broiler pan, pressing ends onto pan(twists will unravel somewhat as they bake).
- Bake in upper third of oven until crisp, about 30 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, mash together Gorgonzola and butter in a shallow bowl with a fork. Spread generously on bread slices.
- Cut slices into 1-inch squares and arrange on a baking sheet.
- After bacon has cooked for 15 minutes, put croutons in lower third of oven. Bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- While croutons bake, using a large heavy knife, mince and mash garlic to a paste with salt.
- Combine mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, honey, and garlic paste in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Toss together spinach, warm croutons, and onion in a servng bowl and toss with dressing. Top with bacon twists and eggs.