Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is an excellent spinach salad with a creamy, buttermilk-type dressing. The dressing can be made up to 2 days ahead and refrigerated and the salad can be assembled ahead and then tossed with the dressing just before serving. Originally from a July 1984 issue of Bon Apetit that featured a menu and recipes from Sam Higgins, the official camp cook at the K-bar Ranch outside of Arlington, Texas.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 cups spinach leaves, stemmed
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, crisply fried and crumbles
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, shelled and cut into 4 wedges each
Directions See How It's Made
- For Dressing.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
- For Salad.
- Combine spinach,red onions and mushrooms in large bowl; toss with dressing.
- Divide salad between 8 plates and garnish each with 2 tomato wedges, 2 hard-boiled egg wedges and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Serve immediately.