Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My type of salad! This one is on the sweet side. Recipe is from Down Home with the Neelys.
- 1⁄2 lb hickory smoked bacon, slices roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) containers Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup danish blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fry chopped bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined 1/4-sheet tray to drain.
- Toast pecans in the oven on a 1/4-sheet tray until lightly golden and fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mash the blue cheese with a fork. Mix in the buttermilk, sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Combine baby spinach, red onion, pecans, dried cranberries and bacon in large bowl. Toss with the dressing immediately before serving.
We loved this. DH is not a huge fan of blue cheese but he really liked it on this salad. Great combination. I used a spring mix that included spinach for this since that was what I had. Other than that made as written. Thanks cookiedog.
My kind of salad, too! The blue cheese dressing is thick, so I added 2 tbs white balsamic vinegar to it, to thin it a bit and give a little acidity.
Delicious salad! I pretty much made it as the recipe suggested (I left out the onions) and added boiled eggs and homemade croutons - YUMS!