Recipe by LonghornMama
With jicama, avocado and sunflower seeds tossed in a spicy dressing, this is not your typical spinach salad. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Everything Sweet
Nice and fresh, but with a kick. This is the first time I have had jicama and I was surprised how sweet it was. Something different for a salad. I did double the chili powder since I wanted more kick. I didn't have spinach so I used romaine instead and it was great!
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach or 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1 avocado, cubed (sprinkle with lemon or lime juice)
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- If using bulk spinach, remove stems, wash, pat dry and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine spinach, avocado and jicama in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine oil and next 6 ingredients in a jar; cover tightly and shake vigorously.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with sunflower kernels; serve immediately.