Caramelized pecans make this salad especially good. This is a salad they used to serve at the restaurant one of my son's worked at, Rockbottom Brewery. If you want a salad with a bit more punch, try blue cheese instead of the feta.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh Baby Spinach (I also like to make it with a combination of freshbaby spinach and baby greens)
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored, sliced and then cut each slice into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Melt butter in small frying pan over low heat.
- Add pecans and brown sugar.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is caramelized.
- Spread out on wax paper to cool.
- In bowl toss together spinach, pecans, apple and cheese.
- Add oil and vinegar and toss again until everything is coated.
- Chef's note: To make ahead for a special dinner--toss apple with dressing. Layer on greens, cheese and pecans. Cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until needed, tossing just before serving.