Recipe by heather in Ont,
The combination of these ingredients is fantastic. The candied pecans give a nice little crunch to the salad. Add some seafood or grilled chicken and you have a full meal. To save time buy the prepackaged washed baby spinach. This recipe came from Rose Reisman's "Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss" cookbook.
Top Review by twissis
I had a dinner party last nite & finally fulfilled my intent to make this salad. It was well-rec'd by my guests. While I loved the combo of ingredients (fruit, cheese & the candied pecans were really a spec part), I found myself wanting to salt this salad to help balance the overall sweetness of the salad + dressing. I know such things are matters of individual pref, but I'm thinkin maybe replacing the OJ conc w/some soy sauce might do that. Just a thot. Thx for posting.
- 1⁄3 cup pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup diced radicchio
- 1 large ripe pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 ounces brie cheese, diced
- 4 ounces sliced grilled chicken (optional) or 4 ounces seafood (optional)
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet with vegetable spray.
- To make the candied pecans, rinse the pecans with cold water.
- Drain but do not let dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the icing sugar, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Dip the pecans in this mixture to coat well.
- Spread them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and Chop.
- To make the salad, combine the spinach, radicchio, pear and brie in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, honey and mustard.
- Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- Garnish with the candied pecans and chicken/seafood (if using.).