Prep 7 mins
Cook 53 mins
The cashews give the salad a nice sweet crunch. You can make your cashews ahead, and store them in an airtight container until needed to save some time at dinner.
For the Cashews
- 1⁄2 cup cashews (roasted is ok)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt (if your cashews are not salted)
For the Salad
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chopped baby portabella mushrooms (crimini)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, dried cherries or 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300F (you can prepare your cashews several days ahead).
- In a small saucepan, mix together cashews, sugar, and water over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Cook and stir for about 15 minutes, or until mixture crystallizes.
- Spread the cashews onto parchment paper on a baking sheet (season with salt now if needed).
- Bake 15 minutes, then stir mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes more, then cool cashews before storing in an airtight container (until needed).
- Place spinach into salad bowl.
- Top with hard cooked eggs, mushrooms, dried fruit, and candied cashews.
- Juice the lemon.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, salt, pepper, dijon mustard, and sugar, adjusting sugar to taste.
- Slowly add olive oil and whisk until dressing emulsifies.
- Serve dressing over salad as desired.