Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A Jan Roberts-Dominguez recipe.
- 4 skinned and boneless chicken breast halves, grilled
- 1⁄2 cup sesame and poppy seed vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 6 cups shredded baby spinach leaves
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-glazed almonds (recipe follows)
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce, for serving
- additional wedges roma tomato, for garnish
Sesame and Poppy Seed-Seed Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cut the grilled and cooled chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and combine with the vinaigrette, spinach leaves, diced tomatoes, almonds, onion and eggs. Add more vinaigrette as necessary to reach desired level of coating. Add the salt and pepper, to taste, and toss again.
- To serve, arrange some of the Romaine lettuce leaves on each of 4 plates, then divide salad mixture between them. Garnish with additional tomato wedges, if desired, and serve.
- SESAME AND POPPY SEED VINAIGRETTE: Place vinegar into a blender or food processor. Add sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and salt. Blend until most sesame seeds are ground (stop motor a couple times and scrape down sides of container). Scrape contents into a small bowl, then whisk in canola oil. Makes 3/4 cup dressing.
- SUGAR-GLAZED ALMONDS: Place a sheet of waxed (or parchment) paper on counter. In a nonstick skillet, roast sliced almonds over medium-high heat until golden, shaking and tossing pan to evenly toast almonds and to prevent scorching. As nuts turn golden, sprinkle on about 2 tablespoons sugar and, stirring and tossing as necessary, cook until sugar melts around almonds. Remove from heat and quickly scrape almonds onto sheet of waxed paper to cool. Makes 1/2 cup almonds.