Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Light salad for the hot summer. From my local newspaper.
- 8 ounces apple juice
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 6 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 3 bunches fresh spinach, well washed and drained
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- In saucepan on high heat, cook apple juice until it is reduced till only 1/4 cup remains.
- This should take approximately 15 minutes.
- Pour reduced juice into a non-reactive bowl and let cool.
- When cool, mix in garlic, mustard, vinegar, worcestershire, tabasco and lemon juice.
- Whisk olive oil in slowly, add nuts and salt and pepper to taste.
- Rip spinach into bite sized pieces and place in serving bowl.
- Pour dressing over spinach and toss.
- Garnish with onion and apple.
Very good salad! I made the dressing exactly as directed. The dressing has great flavor and tastes great with the apples. I sliced up a whole apple so there was a lot of fruit in it rather than just a garnishing. I accidentally put too much dressing on the salad so I would add and toss it slowly so you get the amount of dressing you prefer. For our family of four the dressing will make the salad for 2 meals.
Yummo! I added to the salad carrot, red pepper, turkey bacon, using yellow onion. For the dressing I used apple sauce because I didn`t have juice not cooking it and it worked great! I made for the Comfort cafe http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=288536&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=915 Thanks!