Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very nice low-fat salad from Rosie Daley. I've also made this substituting the balsamic vinegar with a Champagne vinegar that was good too.
- 6 navel oranges, chilled
- 4 cups spinach, trimmed (1 large bunch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups watercress, trimmed (1 bunch)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, minced (2-3)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine
- black pepper
- Peel the oranges and remove the white pith.
- Over a bowl positioned to catch the juice, separate the segments of each orange from the membrane with a sharp knife, discarding the seeds, and set them aside.
- Squeeze the residual juice from the membranes into the bowl and reserve.
- Combine the spinach and watercress in a mixing bowl.
- Put the pine nuts in a small saute pan and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the nuts are golden brown.
- Transfer the pine nuts to a small bowl.
- Put the shallots, garlic, vinegars, and reserved orange juice into the saute pan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat.
- Stir in the black pepper, then pour the dressing over the spinach and watercress.
- Toss to coat.
- Arrange the mixture on salad plates, spoon orange segments atop each, and garnish with the pine nuts and, if you like, orange wheels.