Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
"The lutein from the spinach and the flavonols from the onion bolster the nutrition of this side dish. This versatile salad pairs well with grilled fish, chicken, or pork." Maureen Callahan, Cooking Light, 07/07. We served this one evening when we were a small group -- we had it with angel hair & grilled shrimp(no recipe - we threw it together).
- 1 large red onion, cut into 12 rings (1/4-inch-thick)
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 10 cups baby spinach leaves (about 10 ounces)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Prepare grill.
- Combine onion and 1/2 teaspoon oil, tossing to coat.
- Arrange onion on a grill rack; grill 9 minutes or until browned and tender, turning frequently.
- Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, juice, soy sauce, and honey in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Place spinach in a large bowl; sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Add onions.
- Drizzle oil mixture over spinach, tossing gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.