Recipe by susie.freckle.face
Here is the recipe for those who were at Holy Resurrection Monastery Thanksgiving weekend 2004 for Arturo's robing and wanted the spinach salad recipe in better detail. toodles & God bless, sUSAn.
- 2 bunches washed spinach, chopped into 1/4 inch strips by about 1 1/2 inches long
- 1 bunch washed green onion, chopped very fine,1/8 to 1/4 inch is good
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 6 ounces rice vinegar (Marukan seasoned rice vinegar comes diluted to 4.1% acidity)
- 8 ounces bertolli extra light tasting olive oil (delicate & mild, so light it almost looks like veg. oil)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (SEE FOOTNOTE)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- SUGAR FOOTNOTE: I used Kroger brand.
- Also acceptable brands are: Ralphs and Vons.
- Why you ask b/c they are most likely BEET sugar.
- They already come with cornstarch added.
- If you use a name brand cane sugar, or splenda, or xylitol (birch sugar) you will probably have to add 1/4 tsp of cornstarch to get a dressing consistency that clings to the salad.
- Spinach salad Key notes: 1 Wash your hands.
- 2 Wash the produce, drain and gently pat dry.
- 3 Wash your hands.
- Mix the first three ingredients thoroughly in a large wide bowl, add the almond slivers& set aside.
- Using a whisk- mix the next four ingredients thoroughly in a medium a bowl.
- Pour this dressing on the spinach/almond mixture.
- Using your very clean hands, incorporate the dressing with the salad tossing and coating completely using a crunching motion on the spinach, to slightly bruise it so it softens- similar as you would do for a Slovak Cabbage salad.
- Put in a pretty serving bowl-- can be served room temperature or lightly chilled.