Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a twist on the usual spinach salad with warm bacon dressing. It comes from a June 1978 issue of Bon Apetit in the R.S.V.P. section and was served at the Prince of Wales Grill at the Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, California.I like to add some thinly sliced red onion to this.
- 72 ounces spinach, washed and dried thoroughly
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 slices bacon, strips chopped and fried crisp
- 3⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup malt vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 ounces brandy (100 proof)
- Tear spinach into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add egg slices, salt and pepper.
- Mix remaining ingredients except brandy in small saucepan and heat until very hot.
- Heat brandy briefly, add to saucepan and ignite.
- Pour flaming dressing over spinach and toss gently but thoroughly.
- Serve on warm salad plates.