Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My ex-wife developed this recipe about 30 years ago, but it has been modified many times over the years due to changing tastes and the availability of ingredients. Decrease olive oil by half, and increase spices and hot sauce to make a great marinade for grilling meat and veggies. Prep time does not include time for designing and building your salad... just for making the dressing.
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, for 'bite'
- 1 tablespoon sugar, to taste (originally had 1/4 cup. but that's way to sweet for me now)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sriracha sauce (preferred) or 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a jar, except olive oil, and shake thoroughly to mix.
- Allow to set at room temperature for 30 minutes, shaking occasionally, add olive oil, shake again, and refrigerate until needed, but at least 1 hour.
- Shake and toss with spinach salad (spinach, hard-boiled egg, sliced fresh mushrooms, real crisp bacon bits, croutons, etc.) or other greens.
- Note: Use the Sriracha hot sauce if you can find it.
- It adds a lot of flavor, not just heat!
I made this for a small dinner party last night and the leftover dressing was confiscated by the hosts at the end of the evening. Everybody loved it. <br/><br/>I forgot to add the sugar but really didn't miss it at all compared to the last time I made it. We were out of white vinegar so I subbed in a little rice and red wine vinegars and then doubled the sriracha sauce to a full teaspoon. I might even take it up to a full tablespoon next time. This is such a simple recipe and so delicious.
This is a well rounded, flavorful recipe. Instead of sugar, I used some of the juice from a can of mandarin oranges that go into my spinach salad. Hopefully reduced the caloric count a bit.
Made this and it is very good. I have lots left so will be eating spinach salad for lunch. Served it with Guy Fieri's Cuban Pie Alla Munee.