Recipe by Vicky L
My family really likes this salad. The dressing is tangy! I sometimes add croutons to give it more crunch. I'm not sure how long it takes to make as you can cook the bacon and boil the eggs at the same time.
Top Review by BoxO'Wine
Made this salad last night to go along with a mexican entree. We all enjoyed the flavor and the dressing was excellent. I did not have mushrooms so I added sliced water chestnuts and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Perfect! Thanks for sharing this recipe
- 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, torn (or 1 package prepared greens)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, sliced and seprated into rings
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange the spinach, mushrooms, onions, and eggs in a large salad bowl.
- Cook the bacon until crisp, drain, and reserve the drippings in the pan.
- Crumble the bacon over the spinach.
- To the drippings add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Pour over the salad and toss.
- This is a note to the reviewer that didn't like the fact that the salad wilted when the hot dressing was added--it is supposed to that's what happens when spinach is cooked. And please do not cool the dressing as that will make it like cold grease (from the bacon grease). It needs to be hot when added. That is why this salad is not very good left over. Thanks, Vicky.