Recipe by courtney251
Spinach salad with egg and bacon. Fresh and tasty, serve as a side dish with grilled chicken, or as a light meal. The dressing is tastiest when mixted ahead of time and allowed to sit over night, but in a rush I slit the garlic several times to allow it to flavour the oil faster. The bacon can be fried ahead of time, as well as hard boiling the eggs to make preparation at dinner time quick and easy, although I prefer to cook them both just before making the salad and serve slightly warm.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This was a very nice refreshing spinach salad. I made this as directed other than I left off the mushrooms as I used all I had in a spaghetti sauce I made to go with the salad. Might add a little extra lemon the next time. Thanks for sharing. Made for the diabetic forum.
- 1 lb spinach
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 eggs, hard boiled
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 small red onion, finely sliced and chopped into bite sized pieces. (about 3-4 slices)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing: mix olive oil and lemon juice together. Add salt, pepper and sugar. Place whole garlic clove in the dressing mixture and allow to sit in the fidge overnight.
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 7 minutes.
- While water is boiling, fry bacon in a pan over med-low heat.
- Heat a medium sized fry pan over medium heat with a splash of olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute for 5-7 minutes Remove and set aside.
- Rinse eggs under cold water to cool the shell. Peel eggs and place in a small bowl. Mash with the back of a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Remove bacon from pan, and pat off excess oil on a paper towol. Break into bite sized pieces. set aside.
- Slice and chop red onion.
- Place spinach in a salad bowl and add red onion, bacon, egg and mushroom. Remove garlic clove from dressing and pour over salad. Toss and enjoy!