Recipe by Zaphro
Awesome on a hot summer afternoon.
Top Review by mama smurf
This salad was delicious. Made for Spring PAC 2014 and so glad I chose this recipe. It is different than any spinach salad I have made with the water chestnuts, mandarin oranges and bean sprouts but they all went together and the dressing was delicious. Served with recipe#467346#467346 and recipe#210903#210903. (I did cut the recipe in half for just the two of us.) Thank you for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, washed, drained and dried
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, roasted (not seeds) (optional)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- combine the spinach, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, eggs, bacon bits, mushrooms and sunflower nuts in a large bowl. Toss gently and refrigerate 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, toss with dressing in amounts to taste and garnish with mandarin oranges.
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and sugar. Mix well and refrigerate 2-4 hours for best taste.
- Important to pour dressing over salad "very slowly, or it will sink to the bottom and you'll have salad soup.