Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Awesome on a hot summer afternoon.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, washed, drained and dried
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, roasted (not seeds) (optional)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained, to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- combine the spinach, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, eggs, bacon bits, mushrooms and sunflower nuts in a large bowl. Toss gently and refrigerate 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, toss with dressing in amounts to taste and garnish with mandarin oranges.
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, ketchup and sugar. Mix well and refrigerate 2-4 hours for best taste.
- Important to pour dressing over salad "very slowly, or it will sink to the bottom and you'll have salad soup.
This salad was delicious. Made for Spring PAC 2014 and so glad I chose this recipe. It is different than any spinach salad I have made with the water chestnuts, mandarin oranges and bean sprouts but they all went together and the dressing was delicious. Served with recipe#467346#467346 and recipe#210903#210903. (I did cut the recipe in half for just the two of us.) Thank you for posting.
Adopted for PAC 2007. Fabulous and refreshing together!! I even put in the mushrooms even though I do not like them but stayed true to my "baby"'s recipe. What a hit this salad was for us. The mixture of flavors from the salad ingrediants mixed with the dressing was astonishing. When I first read this I wasn't so sure about it bt am glad I stayed with it. Each bite tasted a bit different from the last so it actually was a suprise salad melding it's flavors in your mouth for each bite. This is a definite keeper! (resubmitted as first review did not take)