My mother made this salad and my family (those who don't have texture problems) loves it. She got this recipe from the Columbus Dispatch in Ohio. It uses everyday ingredients on hand. Update: I cut the amounts for the dressing in half, to decrease the amount of left over dressing.
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 6 ounces croutons
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and diced
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (use less to suit your taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Mix spinach, eggs, bacon and croutons together.
- For dressing, mix onion, sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed, vinegar and oil.(I mix up the dressing and let it sit for an hour or two, in the refrigerator, to let the flavors meld before serving).
- Drizzle all with dressing to taste. This dressing keeps indefinitely in refrigerator.