Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is very good for entertaining or on a buffet.
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 22 ounces mashed potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
- Thaw frozen spinach and drain well. Squeeze all excess water out.
- Saute onion in butter until translucent. When done, add 1/4 cup heavy cream and spinach. Cook until cream is absorbed.
- Beat in 5 egg yolks, one at a time.
- Butter jelly roll pan and line with parchment or waxed paper. Butter paper. Beat 6 egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm.
- Fold egg whites with spinach mixture and spread into lined pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool pan upside down on a towel. Remove pan and parchment paper and roll spinach in jelly roll fashion. Wrap in towel. Cool in refrigerator 2 hours or overnight.
- Mix one bag of mashed potatoes with 3 egg yolks.
- Unroll spinach and fill with potato mixture, the reroll and heat through. May be served with hollandaise sauce.