Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
"This is like a quiche without the pastry and is also a great lunch for the wheat intolerant. For dinner, serve with a fresh green salad and balsamic vinaigrette." - from Judy Davie
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 bunch silver beet or 1 bunch english spinach, stalks removed and cut into small pieces
- 250 g low-fat ricotta
- 1⁄4 cup pickled cornichon, chopped finely
- 6 eggs
- 2 sweet red peppers, roasted and peeled (capsicums)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Fry the onion in the olive oil until golden and slightly crispy - about 10 minutes.
- Blanch the sliverbeet in boiling water for 2 minutes and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the sliverbeet, ricotta and cornichons. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Seperate the eggs and beat the whites until they form stiff peaks.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the egg yolks together then fold them into the beaten eggwhites.
- Lightly grease a 2-Litre oven-proof casserols dish. Pour in half the egg mixture, then the onions, capsicums and ricotta mixture.
- Top with remaining egg.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.